So thrilled that Touchstone/Simon&Schuster will be publishing my second novel, The Necklace, out next summer 2017. Could not be happier to be working with them again.
- Writing is just an extreme form of reading. Taking a close look at the plot of the book that's on everyone's list. A marvel of creation by one of the most illuminating writers working now. Using post-its to track the beats/scenes. Prepping my next class this Tuesday on plot. Join us @cuyahogalib @tanehisipcoates #thewaterdancer @oprahsbookclub #amreading #amwriting #writersofinstagramTeaching allows me to take time away from the writing to think specifically about the work- to distill my thoughts about what I do and why and try to make them accessible for fellow writers. For the next 12 weeks, every other Tuesday evening, I'll be delving into an aspect of the work. Join me at the Skirball Writing Center of the @cuyahogalib It's free but requires registration. You can sign up for one or all six. We'll be adding tools to your writer's toolbox and we'll be going deep. http://attend.cuyahogalibrary.org/event/2202680 #writersofinstagram #amwriting #amreading #writingtips #writingcommunityWe all have holes in our reading. Those classics of the canon. Books we've heard so much about we feel like we've read them. We pick them up because people we live with or people whose taste we trust are adamant about them. When we take them up to the register the bookseller says, "oh good ones." Then we take them home and can't put them down. Then we understand. #amreading #amwriting #victorfrankl #louiseerdrich #writersofinstagram"In the face of the increasingly materialist and pragmatic orientation of our age...it would not be eccentric in the future to contemplate a society in which those who live for the pleasures of the mind will no longer have the right to demand their place in the sun. The writer, the thinker, the dreamer, the poet, the metaphysician, the observer ... he who tries to solve a riddle or to pass judgement will become an anachronistic figure, destined to disappear from the face of the earth like the ichthyosaur and the mammoth." Surrealist painter Giorgio di Chirico, early 20th cent. #surrealism #amwriting #writersofinstagram @jennitaur #howtodonothingMind expanding summer reads who are bon amis. Costalegre fictionalizes #peggyguggenheim relationship with her daughter in an imagined Mexico fleeing WWII with an entourage of surrealist artists. What if you had to compete with art for your mother's love and attention? And what if you pretty much lost? Reading the Letters,Dreams,and Other Writings of surrealist painter #remediosvaro had me viewing the world through a deliciously off-kilter filter. @cbmaum #amreading #writersofinstagram #surrealism #summerreadingA rare morning to myself - Good and Mad is the most soothing, validating and cathartic book about the power of women's anger and how that relates to both history and the current moment. Questlove's book on creativity is part memoir, part inspiration and all charm, Bitcoin Billionaires reads like an extended Vanity Fair article in the best possible way if you're in the mood for that sort of thing (and I am!) Plus assorted accoutrements of the morning. Coffee not pictured. #amreading #bookstagram #writersofinstagram #rebeccatraister @benmezrich @questlove #solitude #morningroutine
- Trump showing us all the definition of a self own in real time #TrumpImpeachment #TrumpTranscript 1 month ago
- This tastes disgusting. I'd like some more. #twittershortstories 1 month ago
- RT @RobGMacfarlane: Word of the Day: "peregrini" - lit. wanderers, exiles; in early Celtic Christian tradition, monks who left religious ce… 1 month ago
- How many espresso shots a day is too many? Asking for a friend... 2 months ago
- RT @rgay: The thing about JF is that he and most men get to deputize themselves as experts while women with actual expertise have to prove… 2 months ago